- CPU Intel 2.7GHz i5-2500s Quad-core
- RAM 8Gb upgradeable to 32Gb
- 27″ 2560 x 1440 display (LED backlit)
- 128 Gb Samsung SSD
- 2 Tb Harddrive
- No keyboard nor mouse included in the price
- Contact via Craigslist Boston-South-Shore
- $290 cash on pickup
Extra Options you might consider
- new black USB keyboard, HP USB mouse + $20
- RAM upgrade from 8Gb to 16 Gb + $40
You could always do these upgrades later yourself, or we could do them while you are here to pickup the computer.
macOS High Sierra installed on Fusion-like SSD-harddrive.
In macOS High Sierra you can pool your SSD and Harddrive together using Core-Storage, which will give you SSD speed for your mostly used files, you can find an in-depth guide in
The configuration has to be done from a terminal window.
- Download High Sierra distribution from Apple and save to an USB flashdrive
- install the USB-flashdrive in iMac
- Turn the iMac on, press the Option key when you hear the chime, release on next screen
- select the Orange icon to boot from the USB-flashdrive
- Once booted, start Terminal-App, and enter the commands in the box below
diskutil list diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ ssd128Gb disk0 diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ hdd2Tb disk1 diskutil list diskutil cs create fusion disk0s2 disk1s2 diskutil cs list # note the Core Storage Logical Volume Group UUID, from the above command LVG_UUID=B7EB3388-6B5A-461F-BC7D-2177B409C88A diskutil cs createVolume $LVG_UUID jhfs+ Fusion2Tb128Gb 100% diskutil cs list
When done, shutdown the Terminal-App, and start the install of High Sierra, be sure to select the Volume we just made when the system asks you where you want to install macOS.
This iMac has been cleaned out and High Sierra newest version has been installed as described above. Ready to use.
Are iMacs from 2011 any Good?
I think they are perfect, most of the Desktop computers in our house are iMacs from 2011, running macOS, Ubuntu and Windows-10
This is the last generation of iMacs that is upgradeable, you can replace, the CPU, graphics card, RAM and disks, (3 SATA controllers), Wifi, and Bluetooth. All parts including the screen and glass are replaceable, so even if trouble should arise it can be fixed, parts are readily available on Amazon or eBay.
This iMac is perfect for office use, Web-browsing YouTube, NetFlix, and iMacs have brilliant sound and picture, and this iMac still performs almost as well as newer Macs, see below.
The main difference to newer CPUs is that the newer CPUs are much more energy efficient, while performance has only gone up very moderately, quite important for laptops, but not so much for desktops. Equipping these iMacs with a good SSD and as much RAM as you can afford is the best way to get a good system.
With more than 2 Terabytes of disk space, this could act as a server for your video collection or use as a Time-Machine backup server for your MacBooks.
This iMac running High Sierra is ready to be used as an external monitor for your MacBook.
Some youtube videos to get you inspired:
- Here’s why this $400 iMac is one of the best ever!
- Old Macs seem to last forever. Here’s why.
- Setting up Time Machine server in High Sierra – YouTube
- i3 12100F Vs i7 2600 – Budget 12th Gen Vs High-End 2nd Gen
Below I have included the Geekbench 5 result for all the Macs in our household and some newer ones for comparison
Year Model CPU Freq Cores single multi geekbench 2011 iMac-27 i5-2500s 2.7GHz Quad core, 770 2092 Other Macs in our household 2010 iMac-27 i7-870 2.9GHz Quad core 584 2222 2011 iMac-27 i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad core 665 2134 2011 iMac-27 i7-2600 3.4GHz Quad core 781 2777 2011 MacBook-pro15 i7-2820qm 2.3GHz Quad-core 549 2621 2014 MacBook-pro15-retina i7-4770hq 2.2GHz Quad-core 821 2661
2015 iMac27-retina i7-6700k 4.0GHz Quad-core 987 3827 Comparison to newer Macs: 2017 Macbook-Air i5-5350u 1.8GHz Dual-core 655 1350 2018 MacBook-Air i5-8210y 1.6GHz Dual-core 729 1456 2019 IMac-21 i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-core 829 3180 2020 iMac-27 i7-10700k 3.8GHz 8-core 1251 8133 newest Intel iMac 2021 iMac-24 Apple-M1 3.2GHz 8-core 1718 7480 newest M1 iMac